One of our students could not attend the second part of Mosaics 1 class, so Andrea grouted it for her. The pictures below show the process. Hope you like it, Barb! We all think it came out great.
Here's the basic process I followed in creating my latest mosaic. I was inspired by a bunch of peach, orange, and rose tinted bling...It said "1970's paisley" to me!
Quite a few people have been asking for alcohol inks. What are alcohol inks, you ask? They are like watercolors for non-porous materials.
They tend to be expensive and the local big box craft stores don't carry a variety of colors. We don't tend to get them in the shop too often so that got us thinking..."hmm, what if we make our own?"
As usual, Google and YouTube were our go-to resources. We found several helpful hints on making our own inks, typically using markers and rubbing alcohol. So, we decided to schedule a short session (also on Meetup.com) on Saturday, September 11th at 11:00 a.m.
In preparation for the session, I (Victor) have been experimenting with various tint sources - permanent markers, acrylic paint, and inkjet ink. We'll get to try them all on the 11th.
If you currently use alcohol inks, whether you purchase them or make your own, come by and share your experiences.
If you have been wondering about them, come by, learn from those using them and try out a few options for making your own and trying them on different surfaces.
Your imagination is your limit...
Look at all the things you can be for Halloween, just using materials from our warehouse.
Come in soon, these items won't last!
What else do we have for the SUPER creative?
This mosaic is from scrap glass and found items, all on a sample pane of industrial glass. In the final version, there's a prickly pear, an organ cactus, a barrel cactus, and 4 1/2 ocotillos. Can you see them?
I (Andrea) love making mosaics on clear glass because it adds a whole different look and feel to the final mosaic, but it takes a different approach in many ways:
So, after I glued the glass on one side, I could see from the other side that, while they were firmly in place, there were air bubbles under some of the tesserae. Why care? Because when I grout, it could seep UNDER the tesserae, making the whole thing look messy. This is not something you would care about on a solid substrate. So, I decided to experiment: I used clear silicone caulking for the glass on the backside of the ring. It takes longer to dry, but I can at least see when the cloudiness has gone away. I'll wait until then to grout because I don't want to slow the adhesive drying process.
Andrea is very good at naming her art pieces as some of you who saw the posting earlier this week know. Her "Garden Nirvana" mosaic is aptly named. I (Victor), on the other hand, always struggle when it comes to naming a piece so I'm asking for your help.
I mostly work in metal (steel). I incorporate wood, tile, or other materials but my main medium is steel. Here, I decided to work on something different when I saw a call to artists for Day of the Dead art.
You can scroll to the bottom to see the finished project to suggest a name or read through the materials and steps if that helps your naming inspiration.
In the spirit of upcycling and reusing materials, everything here (except for resin) is upcycled.
List of supplies:
Here are some of the materials at the start: a foam cutout of a skull, the small MDF pieces, the wallpaper samples, the paint color samples, and the screen print frame already attached to the plywood.
Lastly, I painted the frame black and the background white. I did the resin covering in two batches of resin. Well, it was actually three or four since I am new at getting resin to cure correctly. The black frame and white background have gold glitter added to the resin so I did that first. The face is clear and I covered that once the resin of the frame and background had cured. I opted to use resin to give this a uniform, deep, and shinny finish.
This piece was accepted into the Tohono Chul Park exhibition, "Día de los Muertos." The opening reception is Aug. 24...hope to see some of you there!
BTW, the final name was Día de los Muertos Tribal Inspired.
I had an idea that expanded on the traditional tapestry mosaic method, as done by Laura Skye. Instead of fringed edges and distinct areas of design and texture, I combined those into a landscape. Here's how my design (and lack thereof) evolved!
Finished product "Garden Nirvana"
The large flower is a coffee can; the smaller ones are tuna, etc. The textures were great when painted.
The steps we followed were:
These are the three steps we've taken so far. We received a large donation of silk screen frames of many sizes; some with screens still in them but most without. They have a very cool rustic look.
We laid them out on the floor and attached them with wood screws and wood glue. We kept the "Arizona" one in the center because of the great look. They don't weigh much. We hung them as a group on our garden wall.
The following weekend, we painted the nine sections different colors. Our next step is to add different art work to each of the frames...stay tuned. Please post any pictures of YOUR frame projects!
Project Update May 2017
We've started adding different elements to each of the silkscreen frames.
Project Update June 2017
We've added a bit more color. On the bottom-right, we added a painting on canvass that Andrea embellished with beads and other bling. We also had some metal flowers from another project so they went into one of the top frames atop angle iron stems.